Project ID: 2015_017_LAW_01
Decreased sex drive, changes in sexual function and problems with intimacy can worsen quality of life for cancer survivors. Partners also experience this burden, such that as survivor’s functioning worsens, they report decreased sexual satisfaction as well.
Rekindle is a private, personalised online resource that addresses sexual concerns for all cancer survivors and their partners of all genders and sexual orientations. Rekindle teaches proven strategies to enhance sexual wellbeing and answers many of the questions cancer survivors and their partners have after treatment. It is tailored to the individual to meet their specific needs and can be used by cancer survivors whether they are in a relationship or not.
The aim of this project is to evaluate the benefits of the Rekindle resource and how it can be improved for future users.
The researcher: Dr Catalina Lawsin
Catalina Lawsin is a Senior lecturer in Clinical Psychology at The University of Sydney, School of Psychology. She trained as a clinical health psychologist with a focus in the area of psycho-oncology for the past 13 years. Her work aims to improve cancer prevention and control through design and implementation of psycho-educational interventions
Who is eligible?
You can take part in this project if you:
- Have had a cancer diagnosis and completed primary treatment at least 6 months ago.
- Are a partner of someone who has had a cancer diagnosis and completed their primary treatment at least 6 months ago.
What does this project involve?
If you chose to take part, you will first be asked to complete an online survey. You will then be randomly assigned to one of 3 groups:
- Rekindle – access to Rekindle on your own for up to 10 weeks.
- Rekindle Plus – access to Rekindle for up to 10 weeks plus 3 telephone support calls at beginning, middle & end of your use of Rekindle.
- Attention Control – access to a website that includes current resources for 10 weeks then access to a personal Rekindle pathway.
Where is the project being conducted?
As Rekindle is an online resource, you can participate at a time and place that is convenient and private for you.
How do I express interest in participating?
To get more information about this project:
- Click on “Yes, I’m interested” at the bottom of this page and follow the prompts.
- Call us on 1300 709 485 and we can help you through the process. Register4 is an online register, so have your email address ready.
After we verify your details, we will send you an invitation email. This invitation email formally asks whether you give Register4 permission to forward your contact details to the researcher. You will also have the opportunity to specify which contact details you would like us to send to the researcher on your behalf.